Athens Police: Man Finds Cats On Craigslist, Tortures and Kills Them

Posted on: 4:02 pm, October 10, 2013, by , updated on: 09:05am, October 11, 2013

ATHENS, Ala. (WHNT)–  Police say they arrested a man Wednesday evening after they found evidence of mass cat torture and killing going on inside his home.

Ronald Fraser Golden, 48, of 106 Bullington Road, Athens, is charged with 22 counts of cruelty to a cat in the first degree.

The man’s home is directly across the road from James Cowart Elementary.

WARNING: The details below, of the animal abuse, are graphic.

The investigation into the animal torture has been underway since September 24.  Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson said his department received a report about dead kittens found in the area of Bullington Road.  Police received an anonymous tip that Golden was killing the kittens.

This is the house police say the cat tortures took place. (WHNT)

This house, at 106 Bullington Road, is where Athens Police say the cat tortures and killings took place. It’s directly across from James Cowart Elementary. (WHNT News 19)

Police interviewed Golden on September 30 and say he admitted to buying kittens off Craigslist, naming them and killing them.

He told investigators he had a “cat room” where he would torture them and discard the carcasses.

Golden gave police consent to search his property.  They found five dead kittens in a brushy area at the back of the property.  There were also two kittens and two dogs found alive.  Police said Golden took care of the dogs.

“Investigators searched the inside of the home and found blood spatter on the walls and floor,” Chief Johnson said.

Lt. Chris Slaton, who interviewed Golden, said Golden told investigators he was “angry at the world.”  Golden said he had been killing the kittens since July.

Golden was held for evaluation by a state mental health officer and Probate Court. He was released Thursday, October 10 and immediately arrested by Athens Police.

Golden’s charge, which is a Class C felony, is punishable of a year and a day to 10 years in prison for each of the 22 counts.

Golden is being held in the Limestone County Jail on $22,000 bond.

PEOPLE WHO SOLD GOLDEN KITTENS REACT

WHNT News 19 was contacted by a local family who says they sold Golden two kittens a few weeks ago.

They shared text messages and emails with Golden who they describe as a quite and “nice” man. They found out about his arrest today and the allegations Thursday. They say the news was shocking because Golden was planning on picking up another kitten from them in the next few weeks.

• Leigh says:

When you read on the history of serial killers, they usually have a background of killing and torturing animals first. Very scary and to think that he was living across from an elementary school. Thank God someone reported this.

• Kira Diamond says:

Exactly Leigh.. look at Jeffrey Dahmer…disturbing.

• Sue says:

I am guessing that torturing beautiful helpless little cats and kittens was his past time waiting for more human victims- ck for missing persons anywhere he has been. He is pathetic- HE is the animal! Glad he was arrested and hope he gets a long time in jail!

• Angie Hood says:

How sick! Thankful for the tipster and the Athens police for putting a stop to this sub-human, hoping he gets the full punishment per charge.

• PETA has been notified. I fear since he is a police officer he will get off. Do not let this happen! This many should get the maximum penalty!

• Mike says:

If there was a Chinese restaurant nearby, he could have made some money off them kittens…..

• Kk says:

I would like to know where this guy works and if he has a security clearance.

• Red says:

I wouldn’t worry about that. If he did, he sure doesn’t now.

• Toni Griffin says:

He doesn’t work. I live on the same street and this demented guy, and spoke to him once. He told me he is on disability, so he’s got too much time on his hands. I’ve warned my kids not to go near that house.

• ivyivyivy says:

I’m just so sad the animals suffered.

• Sarah says:

Another Jeffrey Dahmer in the making. And there’s so many of them like this that nothing happens to. They are let go because animals are property. This a sick world. All people like this should be punished before they start to kill humans too.

• Sarah says:

He won’t get away with this! He is a sick man and I know this first hand. He came and got kittens from my neighbor that I was helping, that had a cat have a liter back to back. He will pay for this! sick sick man.

• Sue says:

It is very scary that this MONSTER could fool that many people into letting him take these innocent cats/kittens with him. Torture for him in prison should be him punishment! He is way past the 20′s age where serial killers begin on humans after animals.Just becaise he has never been caught does not mean AT ALL that he has not killed humans. A lot of killers live their entire life not being caught. These poor little cats and kittens tortured and cats – SO SAD!!

• sad world says:

This is why I don’t use craigslist to find homes for my animals. so sad these innocent baby’s had to go through this .

• amber says:

We hear things like this and are saying” I’m. Glad that was not in my neighborhood”. Then it is in your neighborhood and across the street at the school your kids attend and ride there bikes too. I want to Thank the person who reported this and to the Athens police. You saved some kittens life and possibly my childrens. I hope they lock him up and throw away the key.

• Yeah definitely a deranged individual. Thats what I thought too.. Sounds like the beginnings of a serial killer. Especially the torture part. I have heard of of a lot of old timey guys who used to kill puppies and kittens to not to take on the responsibility. But those guys did it quick. And they also didn’t seek out animals to harm.

• Crystal says:

jail time is not enough he needs to be taken back to his “cat room” and treated exactly like he treated those helpless cats!

• Dennis says:

I would kill him

• Kathy says:

The punishment should suit the crime. Maybe a couple rounds of his head against the wall just for starters. Sick SOB.

• Sue says:

I hope he gets the maximum- 22 counts x 10 yrs! AND the first day he meets an animal lover. Fate of serial killer Jeff Dahmer- save the system a lot of money and one no good nothing is gone.

• Kimberly says:

I am glad the sick B******D didn’t hurt any children, and it breaks my heart that he tortured and killed sweet kittens. I look at all four of my cats and their sweet little faces and wonder how could anyone do that to an animal ? People PLEASE learn to spay and neuter your pets !!!!!

• Michelle says:

I agree!!! Spaying and neutering our pets so that they will not have offspring that we can’t provide a safe and loving home for is the best way to protect our animal friends. And had this man grown unsatisfied with torturing and killing small animals, he would very likely have transitioned to helpless humans.

• Michelle says:

I agree, Kimberly. Spaying and neutering our pets to keep them from having offspring that we can’t or won’t provide safe and loving homes for is the best way to protect our animal friends. And, had this man grown unsatisfied with his feline victims, it is very possible that he would have transitioned to helpless humans :(

• John says:

This also shows a need for the state Legislature to take up the issue of animal cruelty. Intentional animal cruelty should be a Class A felony and the penalties much more severe.

• Funny how this man will get more time than those who kill human beings SMH

• Terry Mann says:

FAT chance! That is why it keeps happening. We need to get the laws changed.

• Sue says:

Exactly! Pets need to be taken seriously and respected. Make an example out of this dangerous serial animal killer and show him the law will not allow him to get away with this demented behavior! Change the law to a lot of jail/prison time.

• Michelle says:

Indeed!!! Spaying and neutering your pets and not allowing them to have offspring that you can not provide a safe and loving home for is the best way to protect our animal friends!! :( I can’t imagine what this man would have done had the cats discontinued to satisfy his sick, disgusting mind…especially near an elementary school!!! I would dare say that if they let this murderer go free, he won’t be around for long.

• Michelle says:

Fugahlee, it would have only been a matter of time before he turned to finding helpless humans (most likely, small children) to hurt as well. Just because his victims were not the species as us does not make his actions less heinous.

• Michelle says:

*the same species

• connie says:

PLEASE sign the petition on change.org to have Craigslist quit listing pets. Signatures are still needed If the link doesn’t work then cut and paste into your browser or go to change.org and search puppy doe.

Thanks

• Jane says:

I personally knew this man and he had a very, very tragic life. That is no excuse for what he did, however. Glad he is in a place where he can do no more harm to innocent beings and am sad for the mess his family now will have to deal with. Asking for nothing but support for his family, who had no idea this was going on and are the sweetest people you would ever meet.

• Shalimar says:

Why the heck would you want to kill kittens?! I believe that he should be in prison. But that’s my opinion. It makes me sad having to see that someone would be cruel to animals.

• Myra says:

Jane I too have had tradgey in my life but I don’t go around killing innocent kittens! I really hope that is not used as a defense for him. I am so sick of sick individuals like this man trying to excuse their sick behavior. It is sad to think that the taxpayers are having to support a piece of crap like this. He doesn’t deserve to even be called a human, he is pure evil and society needs to be rid of evil. I hope to hear that this monster is no longer breathing air on this earth.

• Ronald Dowell says:

Preach it sister Myra. A tad extreme though don’t you think? Don’t break a hip getting off your soap box. Your harsh words make you sound like a monster too and you’re still breathing.

• Steve says:

This guy is a future serial killer. He needs to be put away for a very very long time. If you read about the profiles of serial killers, they all have this in their past.

• Gabby says:

SIck! Absolutely SICK! He needs to go to jail for a very long time! I have 3 Kittys of my own, and id beat some serious butt if anything like this ever happened to them, an animal is like a child or family member. They are not to be treated this way. If this man is doing this to just little sweet babies, think of what he could do to ACTUAL human beings! LOCK HIM UP!!

• Kaddi says:

This man is dangerous and a risk to those around him. “Angry at the world”!!!! So he kills innocent tiny precious babies unable to defend themselves. Many serial killers start with animals first and then advance to humans. Many serial killers are known to be nice quiet guys! The Court needs to see this man for the real monster he really is and sentence him the maximum allowed (and that won’t be enough)!!!!

• Justice says:

Death sentence please.

• Robin Wilson says:

I am an animal lover! This Devi should be put in the cat room and had his head stomped, wripped with barb wire and burned alive! And that’s to good for him.

• Puppy Doe J says:

Please share & sign this petition http://www.change.org/puppydoe asking Craigslist to change their policies on re-homing pets, it was started after news of the horrible case of Puppy Doe broke. Puppy Doe was a sweet little pup found tortured in Quincy, MA. after being re-homed on Craigslist.

• Robin Wilson says:

To Ronald, I would put my so called big ladies panties on and get my hands on him, he needs to suffer. You don’t buy animals of of the Internet for the purpose of making them suffer. You DON’T treat innocent animals like that!

• bf says:

give me 5 minutes with the puke!

• Ronald Dowell says:

Big talk all of you that want to kill him yourselves. I’d like to see if you would actually do it if you did have 5 minutes alone with him. If you did bash his head against the wall or hurt him you would be no better off than him. I agree that he needs help or to be punished in some way but I also know that he tried to get help for these feelings and tendencies and was turned away repeatedly.

• I think we should all keep this in perspective. While it indeed is sad that he would hurt kittens and cats, He was not harming children, I do not think he should get off for his crimes, but for him to get charged heavier than someone who hurts a child or kills a child, is insane.

• Rowan says:

With as many strays as there are, the idea that someone is selling kittens is ridiculous. if only that could be illegal, save for registered breeders of purebreds, we would be a lot better off.

• N says:

I am literally sick to my stomach right now.

• Robin Wilson says:

Well, Ronald Dowel, sense you apparently also had known about his tendencies did you know he killed kittens?

• Robin Wilson says:

Yes, Ronald Dowel, I would put on my so called BIg GIrl panties. If I could get my hands on him, I can’t say I would rip his heart out because he ain’t got one and if you Ronald think different, then your not an animal lover!

• Sherrie St. Germain says:

POS! Just a matter of time till he moves on to children or elderly,,something else helpless! Wish I could torture him!!