Furloughed Federal Workers Can Now File for Unemployment Online

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MONTGOMERY – Civilian employees of the Federal government affected by the government shutdown can now file unemployment compensation claims online at http://labor.alabama.gov.

Workers will need the following documentation:

*Social security number
*Mailing address
*Telephone number
*Copy of the Standard Form 50 and / or Standard Form 8 (if provided by employer)
*Copy of the last pay stub or the W-2 for 2012
*If not a citizen, proof of alien status
*Name, payroll address and duty station (place of employment) for the federal agency worked for in Alabama
*Bank routing number and account number (for direct deposit, if elected)

Claimants must have worked in Alabama in order to use the online application. Unemployment compensation claims must be filed in the state in which the work was performed.

Filing online can help avoid long wait times. Claims can also be filed by phone by calling 1-866-234-5382 between 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.

NOTE: If Federal employees are later paid for time not worked, the payment will be considered back pay and it will result in an overpayment of any unemployment compensation benefits paid.

-Information provided by the Alabama Department of Labor