Athens Grease Festival This Saturday, Sept. 28
A photo of the Toga Flash Mob at the 2012 Athens Grease Festival
ATHENS, Ala. (WHNT) – Grab your togas and get ready to celebrate. It’s time for the second annual Athens Grease Festival on The Square this Saturday, Sept. 28 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
The festival is a celebration of all things fried, and the Greek origin of the city’s name.
This year, there’s a local Athena. The Spirit of Athens hosts the festival, and chose Helen Carter of Elkmont because of her volunteering spirit over the years. She is also known for the many years she spent working at the Athens Senior Center.
Organizers and the Athens Police Department will start closing Washington Street between Jefferson and Clinton streets and Marion Street between Market and Green streets on Friday, Sept. 27, around 5:30 p.m. to accommodate the stage and early vendor arrivals.
They will close Market Street between Jefferson and Marion streets early Saturday morning.
Jefferson Street will remain open, but the parking spaces closest to the Limestone County Courthouse will be reserved for handicapped parking. Motorists should use caution on Jefferson Street throughout the day.
Access to Limestone Drug’s drive-through off Marion Street will be available.
What Spectators Need To Know
● Bring a chair if you want to sit and enjoy the music and other festivities.
● Portable bathrooms will be available on Washington and Market streets and the corner of Washington and Jefferson streets.
● Parking will be available in the city and county lots around The Square and there is some street parking off The Square.
● Admission covers the cost of all children’s activities. It does not cover the cost of certain contests or the food and crafts being sold by vendors.
● 200 free tickets were distributed for the Rick Bragg presentation. You must have one of these tickets to get into the Athens State University Center for Lifelong Learning. Seating starts at 4 p.m. and the presentation at 5 p.m. You still must pay festival admission. Those who get seats downstairs will watch the presentation live streaming on a screen.
● There will be Athens Grease Festival T-shirts for sale for $12 and drink koozies for $2.
-Information provided by City of Athens