Congressman Brooks Blasts On-Base Gun Ban In Wake Of Navy Yard Shooting

HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(WHNT) – North Alabama Congressman Mo Brooks expressed his sympathy to families of the Washington Navy Yard shooting Monday evening, while also blasting a federal law that prevents members of the military from carrying their weapons on base.

Rep. Brooks (R-District 5) and his wife live just five blocks from the Washington Navy Yard, the scene of a horrific shooting rampage that left 13 people dead, including the accused gunman, Aaron Alexis. Brooks said the close proximity to Monday’s tragedy only hardens his resolve to overturn the on-base ban, which he calls unconscionable.

“You have people who are just doing their jobs and they get gunned down where they’re defenseless,” said Rep. Brooks. “Why our military is not allowed to use weapons, have them in their possession so they can defend themselves after Fort Hood and now today, this is beyond me. But that’s something Congress needs to look at.”

Authorities have revealed little about the shooting so far, but Brooks said he believes the on-base weapons ban was a factor. Brooks told WHNT News 19 that he will push the House Armed Services Committee he sits on to review the existing ban.

“The best prevention is to make sure we can defend ourselves against these kinds of risks,” said Brooks. “I’m quite confident that if our men and women in uniform had just say a pistol, and a holster, or in their desk, that you would not have had so many people lose their lives at Fort Hood. You would not have had so many people lose their lives at the Naval Yard.”

The on-base weapons ban does not apply to service members who are part of a military post’s security force.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 732 other followers