Florence To Add More Ball Fields To Sportsplex
FLORENCE, Ala. (WHNT) – Over the next four days, baseball players from across the south-east will be at the Florence Sports Complex competing for a regional crown.
Sixteen teams, 240 players and coaches from six states are welcomed by the crowd at the opening of the 11-year-old Cal Ripken baseball regional tournament.
Since its opening in 2009, the Florence Sports Complex has averaged hosting 13 tournaments a year.
So many in fact, city leaders have decided to expand the complex and add another one-point-seven-million dollar pod to the park.
“We need more fields just to accommodate our local leagues. But it will definitely help us with tournaments and lure in more of the regional type tournaments and hopefully at some point a national tournament,” said Tina Kitchens with the Florence Park and Recreation Department.
The city of Florence hopes to have the expansion project ready for bid in the coming months.
It could be a year before the new four field pod is ready for play.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart
- Interview for the World's Toughest Job - and Billions are Already Doing it