City And County Leaders Identify ATRIP Funding Priority Projects
MADISON COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) – Madison County took home the biggest portion of the available in the final round of Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program.
ATRIP funds cover 80% of road construction costs, with local governments paying for only the remaining 20%.
Madison County has received $82.7 million dollars since the program began last year.
However, in then the final round, the county received 50 million dollars, only a third of the requested $150 million.
“This is enough to do some single projects, or a few projects but not enough to get us to the capacity that we know we`ll need to satisfy demand over the coming decades,” said Dennis Madsen, Manger of Urban and Long Range Planning for the city of Huntsville.
Not to be mistaken, leaders within the county are grateful for the $50 million in ATRIP funding they have been granted. But it means, they’ll have to trim down their initial list of 13 road projects they hoped to complete.
“We`re going to have to sit down as an MPO and prioritize what’s going to have to fall by the wayside and what we can actually get done,” said Madsen.
Huntsville city leaders see Old Madison Pike as a priority. The heavily trafficked thoroughfare sees about 14,000 cars per day. Other priorities named by the city are Zierdt Road (15,200 cars per day) and Winchester (18,500 cars per day).
Madison Mayor Troy Trulock has a different short list, including Highway 72, Highway 20, and Dunlop Boulevard.
“Governor Bentley and the ATRIP committee said they want to make sure we use these dollars for economic development. So that road going from Wall Triana to Zierdt, Dunlop Boulevard, we`re looking at about 700 acres down there of new development for economic development,” said Trulock.
Madison County, Madison city, and Huntsville city leaders plan to meet over the coming weeks to put together a combined list of projects they want to put the ATRIP funding toward.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart