State Delays 13 Major Huntsville Road Projects
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) – The Alabama Department of Transportation has delayed several Huntsville projects meant to ease those rush hour headaches. Most are on major roads and highways that have long been in need of expansion or a facelift.
Alabama DOT officials delivered the bad news to Mayor Tommy Battle last week.
It affects nearly $250 million worth of road projects, several critical to north Alabama.
These are the projects that have been delayed anywhere from 4 to 10 years:
- Elevating Memorial Parkway from north of Martin Road to south of Lily Flagg Road. Adding new service lanes and underpasses at Martin, Lily Flagg and Byrd Spring Road.
- Extending the limited-access portion of I-565 past Moores Mill and Shields roads.
- Expanding I-565 to six lanes between, Greenbrier Road and I-65, Greenbrier and County Line Road, and between County Line Road and Wall-Triana Highway.
- Expanding Alabama Highway 53 from Harvest Road to Old Railroad Bed Road, from Old Railroad Bed Road to Pinedale Road, and from Pinedale through Ardmore.
- The Blake Bottom Road overpass on Research Park Boulevard.
- Resurfacing U.S. 72 East from Moores Mill Road to east of Dug Hill Road.
- Widening South Memorial Parkway between Hobbs Island Road and the Tennessee River bridge.
- Widening Hobbs Island Road from Memorial Parkway to Parsons Drive.
Work to extend the limited access portions of I-565 was originally slated to begin this year, but has been delayed a decade, with the project pushed back to 2023.
Director of Urban Development, Shane Davis, says it is common for projects to be delayed, but nothing as drastic as the delays announced last week.
City leaders have been in talks with the state and state legislators in hopes of getting some of the most critical projects started earlier than the announced delays.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart