Award Winning Poppin Chicken Pones Recipe
HENAGAR, Ala. (WHNT) – A local woman has won 3rd place, and $1,000, in the Martha White National Cornbread Cook Off.
The national contest, held yearly at the Cornbread festival in South Pittsburg, TN, aims to find the best main-dish cornbread recipe in the United States prepared with at least one package of Martha White Cornbread Mix and cooked in Lodge® Cast Iron cookware.
Poppin Chicken Pones
- 4 poblano chile peppers
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 (1.25 oz.) package taco seasoning
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup cream style corn
- 1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (6.5 oz.) package MarthaWhite® Yellow Cornbread and Muffin Mix
Spicy Ranch Sauce
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
1. For pones: HEAT oven to 400°F. Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Arrange on 12 x 15-inch Lodge® cast iron chef platter or in 12-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet. Combine chicken, taco seasoning, green chilies corn, tomatoes, cheese, egg, milk and cornbread mix in large bowl. Mix well.
2. FILL pepper halves with equal portions of chicken mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly-browned.
3. For sauce: STIR together dressing, hot sauce and lime juice in small bowl. Drizzle sauce over pones.
Makes 8 servings