Jail Escapee Accused Of Making Bomb Threats Arrested, Evacuation Explained

CULLMAN, Ala. (WHNT) – A man is under arrest accused of calling in bomb threats to three hospitals. Deputies in Cullman County arrested 33 year old Jeremy Lewayne Lang Sunday. Deputies say Lang escaped from the Arab jail earlier in the evening.

Authorities say bomb threats were called in to Cullman Regional Medical Center, Marshall Medical Center North in Guntersville and Marshall Medical Center South in Boaz. The medical facilities were all put on lockdown. Staff at the Cullman Regional Medical Center evacuated their facility.

Police in Cullman are still working their case against Lang. Cullman Assistant Police Chief Craig Green says everything was interesting especially the way they caught Lang.

Law enforcement at several agencies in Cullman and and Marshall Counties believe the right man is behind bars in connection with three bomb threats. Asst. Police Chief Green is familiar with Lang.

“This gentleman, who our sheriff’s office was working the active cases on, made a 911 call to Marshall County indicating there was a bomb at the Cullman Regional Medical Center, said Asst. Chief Green.

Staff at three Alabama hospitals in two counties also believe Lang made the calls. Asst. Chief Green thinks the 32 year old, wanted at the time on arson and domestic violence charges, made the calls to create a distraction.

“He escaped from Arab. The lady he had committed the domestic violence against lived in Cullman County,” added Asst. Chief Green.

Asst. Chief Green says his investigators will have their chance to talk to Lang Tuesday. The assistant chief says investigators cross-checked the number attached to the bomb threat’s phone call to open cases in their systems. Investigators say they knew it was Lang when all the numbers matched.

Law enforcement spent two hours outside the hospital making sure all patients and staff were safe. Investigators spent the same amount of time inside the hospital looking for a bomb.

“It was somewhat scary for some of our staff because they didn’t know if they were going to be turning the corner and finding a bomb,” said Cullman Regional Medical Center Public Relations Manager Lindsey Dossey.

Dossey and select members of the hospital staff walked side by side with police during the search. All could not help thinking of what recently happened in Boston.

“I think everyone took the threat a little more seriously than they would have done so in the past,” added Dossey.

First responders from Cullman and the surrounding areas helped make sure 55 patients were not hurt.

Dossey explained the hospital followed its policy regarding bomb threats. She says the policy does not always require an evacuation, but administrators had to consider an unrelated bomb threat made last week.

“When we got a second threat, saying it was here, we felt like we needed to put our patient’s safety first,” added Dossey.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 621 other followers