HUNTSVILLE, Ala.(WHNT)-A potential curveball has been thrown in the upcoming trial of accused school shooter Hammad Memon after three of the suspect’s lawyers asked to be removed from the case.
Lead attorney Bruce Gardner and his co-counsel Robin Clem handed in their request to withdraw Tuesday to judge Karen Hall, with no reason listed on the filing. Less than 24 hours later another withdrawal filing was made by Birmingham lawyer James Parkman, who also represents Memon.
Parkman also did not list a reason on his notice, but the filing did state that his agreement to take on the case was specifically conditioned on Bruce Gardner also staying on. It’s not clear if Memon still has any legal representation, even though his trial is now just two months away. None of the three attorneys were available for comment.
Huntsville attorney Harvey Morris is not associated with the case, but said walking away from the case may not be that simple.
“It’s hard to speculate as to why they want to withdraw at this time,” said Morris, who practiced criminal law for several years. “Keep in mind that the judge in this case may not allow the attorneys to withdraw…This close to trial…it may be difficult to get your motion for withdrawal granted.”
Memon is accused of fatally shooting fellow classmate Todd Brown at Discovery Middle School in Madison in 2010. The suspect and victim were both 14 at the time.
Memon’s case was originally set to go to trial last year, but Morris said a 2014 trial date is not out of the question.
“If they were allowed to withdraw, then I think you would have to continue the case.”