Restaurant Ratings: Pink Slime Makes Health Officials Frown
Didn’t Cut the Mustard:
Tide Clean at 6551 Wall Triana Hwy in Madison: Score of 83
- Half-eaten food container with a fork into it was stored on top of or next to other food items in the walk-in cooler
- There were other employee food containers on the food storage shelves and no separation away from customer food items
- The interior of the ice machine was dirty (pink slime)
Heritage Food Mart at 25020 Thach Road in Elkmont: Score of 79
- Personal drink improperly stored
Hartselle Exxon at 101 Hwy 31 SW in Hartselle: Score of 81
- Sandwiches and sliced cantaloupes at 47 to 49 degrees
- Corrosion in ice bin
Golden Spoon Award:
Alabama Popcorn Company at 5901 University Drive in Huntsville: Score of 99
Keep in mind, at all restaurants in the state of Alabama, a satisfactory score is 85 or above. A score of 59 or less would result in an immediate suspension of a restaurant’s food permit and they would close.
An establishment that scores below 85 is required to correct their critical violations within 24 to 48 hours and be re-inspected within 60 days. A score of below 60 results in closure and the establishment will not be allowed to legally re-open until all critical violations are abated and their inspection score is 85 or above.
The Alabama Department of Public Health posts restaurant ratings on its website. Search for your favorite restaurant now and find out their score.