Major Improvements Coming For Limestone County Schools
ATHENS, Ala. (WHNT) – The Limestone County Board of Education votes to approve a multi-million dollar capital improvements plan for their schools.
It’s a two-phase project that will impact five different campuses across the county, and will include a new elementary school in the West Limestone area.
WHNT News 19 first told you about the school system’s capital improvements plan in February. What’s new is there have been some changes to the immediate plans, and the school board has approved it.
The first phase of the project calls for the following improvements:
- Construction of a new gymnasium at Ardmore High School: $4.2 million
- Major remodeling projects at Clements High School: $5.4 million
- New roof for West Limestone High School: $1 million
- Major expansion project at Creekside Elementary: $2 million
- Internet service improvements: $1 million
“So when that’s done, every one of our schools will be wireless,” said Dr. Tom Sisk, Superintendent of Limestone County Schools.
Phase two will see the construction of a new elementary school adjacent to West Limestone High School. Also, Tanner Elementary School will be split off from the high school. It will be in the same building, but have different administration.
“You put people in a situation where it’s hard to give everybody the attention that they need to have. Putting a principal over a K-12 situation and that principal is never out of testing, always has the bell ringing and is always at the school,” said Dr. Sisk.
Dr. Sisk tells us the school board will go to the bond market for the funding, and the actual work is expected to begin later this year.
In all, this represents a $26.1 million capital improvements plan. Dr. Sisk says in another year or so, they want to take a look at building an additional elementary school in the Elkmont area.
- Woman's Auto-Payments Hid Her Death for Six Years
- Chrysler: Rare Dodge Viper Used for Educational Purposes Must Be Destroyed
- EXCLUSIVE: Scottsboro Police Looking For Three People Suspected Of Passing Counterfeit Bills
- BREAKING: New Hope Furniture Store Burnt Down, Traffic Backed up on Highway 431