Didn’t Cut the Mustard:
Restaurante el Azteca at 2723 Clinton in Huntsville: Score of 80
- During inspection, steak cooked in the establishment was without date.
- No personnel working at the establishment is currently certified through an approved food handler manager’s course.
Southern Fixin at 9565 Highway 53 in Ardmore: Score of 82
- The can opener blade is dirty.
Lucky Food Mart at 1202 W. Moulton Street in Decatur: Score of 68
- Employees were found without food safety certificates.
- Issues were found with contamination during thawing and preparation.
- Food surfaces need a good cleaning.
- And toxic items were improperly stored.
Golden Spoon Award:
Subway at 7914 South Memorial Parkway: Score of 99
Keep in mind, at all restaurants in the state of Alabama, a satisfactory score is 85 or above. A score of 59 or less would result in an immediate suspension of a restaurant’s food permit and they would close.
An establishment that scores below 85 is required to correct their critical violations within 24 to 48 hours and be re-inspected within 60 days. A score of below 60 results in closure and the establishment will not be allowed to legally re-open until all critical violations are abated and their inspection score is 85 or above.
The Alabama Department of Public Health posts restaurant ratings on its website. Search for your favorite restaurant now and find out their score.