After Sparkman High School faced a potential threat of their own last week, parents reached out to WHNT News 19, expressing concern the district didn’t handle the situation as well as they could.
In the wake of the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, Madison County Schools Superintendent David Copeland is assuring families they are taking every precaution in their schools.
“This week schools will review the crisis management plan, there will be increased visibility by school officials and law enforcement, and counselors will be available for the students,” said Copeland.
Madison County Schools review the crisis management plan twice a year, and have lockdown drills once a semester. Copeland says they believe their policy is strong, but will be looking for any improvements that can be made.
He also addressed the age of the schools and varied security technology on each campus. Some schools have a card swipe system to enter the building, other schools can be entered before they have to show identification to access the school halls.
Regarding the potential threat on Wednesday, Copeland says the investigation by law enforcement determined there was no real threat. Still, parents hoped for an all-call or message from the school on the matter.
“Hindsight is always 20/20. Perhaps I should have made the call, but once again it was never a true and credible threat, and we do take those seriously” said Copeland. “We’ll learn from each time and hopefully never make the same mistake twice.”
Copeland says he has only received about six emails from concerned parents over the week. He has also posted a letter to the parents on the Madison County Schools website addressing the Sandy Hook school shooting and Madison County policy.