State Treasurer Announces New CollegeCounts Scholarship Program
WETUMPKA, Ala. (WHNT) – Alabama has a new statewide scholarship program. It’s called CollegeCounts.
State Treasurer Young Boozer announced the program Tuesday morning at Wetumpka High School. The program’s goal is to offer financial assistance to Alabama students planning to enroll in Alabama colleges and universities.
“This scholarship program will help qualified Alabamians who may find it difficult to get other types of scholarship assistance,” said Treasurer Boozer. “Not every student makes a 30 or higher on their ACT, or has parents who can afford to write a check for tuition. But there are thousands of bright young minds in our state who work hard and deserve help achieving their dream of a college degree.”
A one-time award of $4,000 will be provided to eligible students enrolling in a four-year university.
A one-time award of $2,000 will go to eligible students enrolling in a two-year school.
You can apply for the one-time scholarship beginning January 2, 2013. Enrollment is open through March 7, 2013. Students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a high school senior or first-time college freshman
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be an Alabama resident
- Be enrolled or planning to enroll in an Alabama eligible educational institution
- Demonstrate financial need
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Have an ACT score of 26 or below (applicants attending a two-year school will not be required to submit ACT scores)
Scholarships will be applied to tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment. Payments will be made directly to the institution and will be issued in the fall and spring.
There are two primary funding sources for the Scholarship Program: administrative fees from the CollegeCounts 529 Fund and surplus funds from the Alabama Higher Education Loan Corporation (AHELC). Learn more at http://collegecountsalabama.com/.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart