Black Friday Online: Tips For Safe Shopping
Millions of Americans will shop online this Black Friday – Nov. 23rd – and many will be at risk for spam and scams.
According to Ben Woolsey, Director of Marketing and Consumer Research for CreditCards.com, “Online shopping is growing in popularity, but it’s important to consider the risks involved. Nothing can put a damper on your holidays like a credit card scam.”
The experts at CreditCards.com have provided the following four tips to shop smartly online:
- Don’t be paranoid; but be aware
- Be cautious about providing your information
- Be careful of the merchants with which you deal
- Keep your eye out for scams
Make sure to check for symbols that verify the companies you shop with have secure payment processing. Also, avoid giving out your maiden name or date of birth – those aren’t bits of information typically needed to make a standard online purchase. They are however, gold for scammers.
As always, you can also check with the North Alabama Better Business Bureau to research the reputation of companies you are considering buying services or goods from. The BBB works to protect consumers from scams and spam and make sure transactions are fair.
- Woman's Auto-Payments Hid Her Death for Six Years
- Chrysler: Rare Dodge Viper Used for Educational Purposes Must Be Destroyed
- EXCLUSIVE: Scottsboro Police Looking For Three People Suspected Of Passing Counterfeit Bills
- BREAKING: New Hope Furniture Store Burnt Down, Traffic Backed up on Highway 431