GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - It's bad enough that Nancy Horton has lost her home, but on top of that, people are stealing from her.
Horton, along with her husband and daughter lived at the home on Beard Street in Guntersville for 22 years. Then, last Thursday, bad wiring caused a fire that destroyed the home and killed a pet.
When I came back towards the den, smoke just overcome me," Nancy Horton says. "I hollered at my daughter and screamed to get out of the house. I didn't even know what was going on. She got out of the house and we tried to get back in and get our other dog but we couldn't make it. The little dog died."
Since the fire, Nancy says they've been trying to find a new place to live, but they've also been having to keep a guard on what's left of the house.
"They've been coming by and steeling what little they can find in the house," she says. "We're trying to watch it. And do the best we can. We don't even have a place to go right now. We're trying to find a place to go."
Nancy says they've been unable to find a new place to rent. They are currently staying with a neighbor. If you would like to help the Hortons, you can reach them at (256) 470-0115 or (256) 279-3912.