Accused Murderer Makes First Court Appearance Four Years After Home Invasion
COLBERT COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) Police say three men burst into a Muscle Shoals home in 2008 and killed Harry Ricks.
According to investigators Derek Burt helped tie up the family and murder the man.
Now Burt faces a capital murder charge.
Nearly four years since Harry Ricks was shot inside his home, Burt faced a judge for the first time int his case. According to investigators, DNA evidence linked Derek Burt to the crime scene.
“It`s a big step toward that, but a long way from closure,” said Colbert County District Attorney, Bryce Graham.
According to court testimony, Derek Burt told authorities, he had “direct knowledge” of what happened the night of the robbery and murder.
The lead investigator says Burt agreed to tell everything, including who the shooter was, and who planned the robbery. However so far, only Burt has been arrested in this case.
“Obviously it`s a lot of progress to have one person in custody however, we won`t be satisfied until we have all 3 perpetrators in custody,” said Graham.
After listening to nearly an hour of testimony, the Colbert County judge decided there is enough evidence to present this case to a grand jury.
According to investigators, the three intruders were looking for money. Deputies say Harry Ricks was trying to escape the home, when he was shot one time.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart
- Interview for the World's Toughest Job - and Billions are Already Doing it