HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) – Monday night will be the first of 10 Community Engagement meetings with the new Madison County School Superintendent and district leaders.
Dr. David Copeland showed up at a media meet-and-greet Monday morning. WHNT NEWS 19 asked him later about some ideas under consideration for the future of the district.
Dr. David Copeland says on March 2nd — his second day on the job — he learned Madison County’s best resource is its people. He watched them cope with damaging tornadoes.
Now, he wants to hear from them and talk to them at 10 community engagement meetings.
“Parents deserve that, you know, they send us the best, which is their children, so they deserve to know what’s going on,” said Dr. Copeland.
Part of what’s going on is something he’s been watching at Huntsville City Schools: the transition to technology.
“I really applaud Dr. Wardynski and what they’re doing in Huntsville,” said Copeland. “We’re gonna take it a little bit slower, you know i hope next year to pilot some digital classrooms certainly at some grade levels.”
He said district leaders are trying to figure out which students to try it with and they hope by the following year, those pilot programs can be expanded district-wide.
But Copeland admits that’s not the first priority.
“Safety, probably in today’s society, sadly to say is probably the number one thing,” said Copeland. “What we have to do is keep kids safe and then educate them right behind that.”
He said he saw the district’s school safety plans tested on March 2nd, and said they passed with flying colors.
Copeland added the district will continue putting more than the minimum financial support required for School Resource Officers so they stay in place, protecting students.
Monday night’s first Community Engagement meeting is set for 6 p.m. at Buckhorn High School cafeteria. Here is the rest of the schedule:
- Tuesday, September 25 Hazel Green High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 15 Madison County High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 29 New Hope High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 5 Sparkman High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 11 Hazel Green High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 25 Buckhorn High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 11 Madison County High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 18 New Hope High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 8 Sparkman High School Cafeteria 6:00 p.m.
District leaders welcome feedback and questions from the public.