Man Accused of Punching Officer, Leading Police On Pursuit
SKYLINE, Ala. (WHNT) A man is behind bars after police say he punched a police officer in the head and then led officers on a chase.
It happened Wednesday evening on Alabama Highway 79 near Morris Circle. Police say 49-year-old Roger Dale Prince became aggressive towards Skyline officer Patrick Cunningham after being pulled over.
Police report Prince assaulted the officer by punching him in the head. Officers used a taser and pepper spray to try to control Prince, but he was able to jump back into his car and drive off. He wrecked in a ditch a short distance later and ran off into the woods.
Units from the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, Scottsboro Police Department, Alabama State Troopers and Section Police Department responded to assist. They set up a perimeter and the Limestone Correctional Facility brought in search dogs to attempt to locate Prince.
At about 8 p.m. the search team found Prince about a mile into the woods. Prince was arrested and taken to the Jackson County Jail. He faces several charges:
- Illegal possession of alcoholic beverages
- Pedestrian under the influence
- Assault 2nd degree
- Resisting arrest
- Disorderly conduct
- Numerous traffic violations
The officer who was hit did not require medical attention.
- UPDATE: Auburn Campus to Resume Operations Thursday at 5:30 a.m.
- Teenager Charged With Murder Following Fight, Shooting in North Huntsville
- UPDATE: DeKalb Co. Deputies Arrest Man in Woods Near Matheny's Bridge Area
- UPDATE: Off-duty Morgan CO. Deputy Fires Shot at Suspect at Huntsville's South Parkway Walmart
- Interview for the World's Toughest Job - and Billions are Already Doing it