Major Construction Project Will Widen Zierdt Road to 4 Lanes
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (WHNT) - A heavily traveled roadway for Huntsville and Madison residents and Redstone Arsenal workers is getting a major overhaul.
Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle and Madison Mayor Paul Finley Wednesday announced that Zierdt Road will be widened to four lanes. The $12.1 million project will double the lanes from Madison Boulevard to Martin Road, where Redstone Gate 7 is located.
The project is expected to begin this fall.
“We are finally bringing Zierdt Road into the norm of our major thoroughfares,” said Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle. “Zierdt is a major corridor for traffic in and out of Redstone Arsenal, and it is a critical part of the infrastructure our community needs to support BRAC.”
“Improving Zierdt Road has been a top priority for both Madison and Huntsville for years,” said Madison Mayor Paul Finley. “We are thrilled dirt will soon start moving and the improvements needed to make our citizens commute easier are one step closer to reality.”
Here is the scheduled timeline for construction on Zierdt Road:
- Late 2012 – Begin east side right-of-way clearing and Redstone Arsenal fence relocation
- Early 2013 – Begin utility relocation
- Late 2013 – Begin construction on northbound lanes, east side of Zierdt, upon completion of utility relocation
- Late 2014 – Begin construction on southbound lanes, west side of Zierdt, upon completion of northbound lanes and right-of-way acquisition
- 2015 – Project completion