Huntsville High Schools Making The Grade
The report is out and two Huntsville high schools made the list of the best schools in the state.
The U.S. News report ranked thousands of high schools across the country based on test scores and other factors.
Huntsville High School snagged the number seven spot, and Virgil I. Grissom High School rounded out the top 10.
Officials with Huntsville City Schools said having two schools on the list is a very good indicator of how well the district is performing overall.
“We are very pleased to have our students excelling and this shows that our commitment to student achievement is working,” Deputy Superintendent Barbara Cooper told WHNT News 19.
Students in Alabama take the Alabama High School Graduation Exam, which consists entirely of multiple-choice questions.
Among the 2012 U.S. News Best in Schools in Alabama, three were awarded gold medals, 17 received silver medals, and 73 were considered bronze medal schools.
Several local schools are ranked in the Top 20 for Alabama high schools. See the latest rankings by U.S. News & World Report.
Here is the Top 20 for Alabama:
- Loveless Academic Magnet Program High School, Montgomery*
- Mountain Brook High School
- Homewood High School
- Shades Valley High School, Irondale
- Oak Mountain High School, Birmingham
- Ramsay High School, Birmingham
- Huntsville High School
- Auburn High School
- Hoover High School
- Virgil Grissom High School, Huntsville
- Bob Jones High School, Madison
- Brewbaker Technology Magnet High School, Montgomery
- Spain Park High School, Hoover
- Vestavia Hills High School
- Booker T. Washington Magnet High School, Montgomery
- New Century Technology High School, Huntsville
- Florence High School
- Hartselle High School
- Athens High School
- Spanish Fort High School
*Loveless Academic Magnet Program High School also scored 32nd in the National Rankings.